Monday 27 May 2024

Membership time again! Start Your Engines, fellow babies!

Greetings, one and all.

Once again here at the station we find ourselves staring down the barrel of a membership drive. 

I know that sounds ominous but for those of us who program it is always a time of excitement mixed with terror. It's not that some of you don't let us know you are there when you check out the playlists or download the podcasts of the shows (on the website, in case you didn't know, under the show pages) or even send messages on social media and via email. It's just that at the heart of it, we at CIUT  want to make a connection and share our joy and enthusiasm with as many people as we can as we put together every show. As odd as it sounds, donations are a vital way to demonstrate that you are listening and care about this programming while also helping to pay the bills!

As a music show host and producer  I listen to a lot of stuff every day of the week.  I am not a musician (despite years of piano and bass lessons and a cellar full of instruments). Hence, every submission, every discovery online and in records stores is a thrill. To think that someone out there created something unique and meaningful and had the guts to share it! Amazing and awe inspiring!

Therefore, I want to showcase as much as I can as well as I can!

Now as a one hour show in a single broadcast slot on Friday night (no repeats on the schedule), I worry that sometimes musicians' hard work is missed. Again, consider that there are podcasts of the shows on the website if you are as passionate about new music as I and other show hosts are (I'm looking at you, Alex).  Community radio is about making connections and feedback is a two way street. If one side is sharing and no one is listening or acknowledging that what they hear is of value, how will that work? 

I know this sounds like a ramble, maybe even a scrambled ramble (it has been a long week already and it's only Monday). In a time when many of us have to stop and consider how each dollar will be spent it is not easy sometimes to find money for non essential things like entertainment or charity. I always find it hard during these campaigns to ask for donations, not going to lie. But long before I started doing this, I was like you, a supporter of community radio and although I was not on air, I helped keep this alternative independent station on the air with what I was able to donate. Actually, I still do, even as a programmer. 

Without equipment or a transmitter or a designated internet feed or a website or people to train the army of volunteers who pass through these doors, or the handful of full time folks who make sure stuff goes out to the world as smoothly as possible, there simply would be no framework for the content. That takes financial donations and we all want to do our part by rallying the troops that listen to our shows.

I guess that's why I worry during these fundraisers. Is Ruby Slippers' commitment to new and alternative music important to you as a listener and as an artist?

If you are able at this time, please go to www.ciut.fm and donate. And let them know that the crew from Ruby Slippers sent you.

Your support is appreciated and never taken for granted.

On behalf of myself, Melanie and Callydog (still rocking it at 14) thanks for listening.






No comments:

Post a Comment